I have some significant news to share with our Jelastic community! Jelastic has a new CEO and his name is John Derrick. John is a strong and experienced leader and he will help us to rapidly scale and transform our business. As CTO, I will continue to drive technology and delivery of innovation at Jelastic.
On this point, I would like to recall some important events in our company’s life. I can remember the moment when we started our project with a very ambiguous presentation in a startup competition. Now, Jelastic is one of the most popular PaaSes in the world. Over the last two years, we have achieved remarkable progress in both technology and business.
The last couple of years involved a lot of hard work and dedication. Overall this has been a very positive but sometimes challenging experience. Our team has learned so many valuable lessons and I am extremely proud of our achievements so far.
I want to acknowledge and say thank you for the priceless contributions of my colleagues to the Jelastic project. My sincerest thanks to Constantin Alexandrov and Alexey Skutin – my partners and co-founders, Alexander Galitsky and Serguei Beloussov – main mentors and investors, Soeren von Varchmin – our adviser and to Daniel Hagemeier and Reed Caldwell – our first hosting partners. I’m very grateful to all other people who were involved into our project and helped us to go forward. Jelastic wouldn’t be possible without them.
I would also like to thank the entire Jelastic team for their extreme motivation and ambition to build a revolutionary product.
Today we are changing the game in the hosting industry. Jelastic is the pioneer platform, which provides extremely flexible Cloud PaaS. The following advantages confirm its flexibility:
- Zero-Code-Change: you can easily deploy and scale any Java or PHP application without any code changes,
- Automatic vertical scaling: we use resources more efficiently and with better elasticity. It allows users to pay less — to pay for actual resource consumption, not instance size,
- Stateful and stateless horizontal scaling: this feature provides an application horizontal scaling by changing the number of app servers. So our users are free of choice here and other cloud vendors stay limited with the stateless horizontal scaling,
- Hybrid PaaS and IaaS: Jelastic Cloud PaaS became even more flexible, effective and powerful by adding an IaaS feature – Elastic Virtual Dedicated Server. You can get full root access to your Elastic VDS, allowing you to take full control of your server and use it for almost anything you want,
- Out-of-the-box Cloud Hosting Platform: Jelastic is the only platform-as-a-service that has been designed for web hosting companies and is already being offered by the best providers around the globe. Now any hosting company can get into the PaaS market quickly through fast and easy integration of the Jelastic solution,
- The best UI/UX: with Jelastic, users enjoy a highly useful and intuitive interface and even compare it with Gmail,
- And so much more.
Of course, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that last year we won the “Oscar” of the Java industry – The Duke’s Choice Award in the most prestigious nomination – technical leader. We helped Java to not only survive, but to THRIVE in the hosting industry.
Currently Jelastic has 22 hosting partners around the globe: it is available in the USA through ServInt, in Germany through dogado, in Russia through Rusonyx and Reg.ru, in Japan through Tsukaeru, in Finland through Planeetta, in the UK and Ireland through Layershift, in Brazil through Websolute, in the Netherlands through Info.nl, in Sweden through Elastx , in Switzerland through innofield and in Ukraine though Neohost and several others web hosting companies will be launched commercially in the near future.
Of course hosting providers can improve their businesses with open source downloadable PaaSes, but in this case the process is very complex and almost impossible. They have to perform billing integration, to build customer engagement flow, to provide the right marketing message, to build different tools which are critically important for maintenance, support, monitoring, business analysis, etc. PaaS business is not only about provisioning and scalability of complex environments, it’s also about easy integration processes, hoster billing system particular qualities, effective usage of physical resources, easy monitoring systems and professional support.
Let me raise a little bit a curtain on our future plans:
- More languages: Ruby, Node.js, .NET and more,
- One click deployments with extended and powerful Application Store,
- More performance and product quality alignment,
- Moving to the enterprise market in order to help enterprise reduce their expenses on maintenance and speed up their development processes.
Also, the future of hosting industry is absolutely clear to me – old web hosting services such as VPS and Dedicated Servers will be replaced with the next level technology – Platform as a Service. The same with IaaS services, which are just bricks in a much more complex architecture of PaaS. As a result we will see more and more hybrid flexible solutions like Jelastic provides today. They will be everywhere, in each IT department of each company like Cloud Operation Systems. Outdated services like VPS will continue to live only in memories.
In conclusion I would like to add that I’m incredibly pleased to have such a strong partner and colleague like John. He is extremely smart and experienced in management of companies with such scaling and growth like Jelastic has. Having John take over as CEO will allow me to focus on what I excel at and have a passion for – the technology!