With multi-region support within different data centers and clouds, Jelastic offers a Hybrid Cloud solution with advanced automation for certified containers. The intended outcome is the ability to distribute various companies’ workloads in a variety of regions, within one Hybrid Cloud.The basic idea of the multi-region feature is fairly simple – to make the cloud hosting truly universal through giving an ability to aggregate various types of hardware, IaaS and 3rd-party cloud tools, within a single Jelastic installation. Herewith, all of the included services are orchestrated within a single infrastructure.
Such an approach brings the doubled efficiency through ensuring extra distribution possibilities for both hosting service providers/ISV companies and their customers. For the first group, it allows them to grow locally and also conquer the remote market, while for the second one, it gives the impressive flexibility in application lifecycle management and smart organization of the dissemination policy.
Jelastic has already integrated with Azure enabling ISVs, hosting providers or enterprise customers to allocate extra regions using Azure Marketplace. As a result, Jelastic Hybrid Cloud is available with the following benefits:
- Expand hosting business to more countries by selling resources from many datacenters (19 compute regions of Azure)
- Burst to Azure in case of temporary applications’ load spikes or in the case additional computing power is needed
- Disaster recovery using Azure
- Backup to Azure
- Allocate a dedicated region for a particular type of user (e.g. for enterprise clients separately)
- Ability to migrate the projects among different regions, depending on the current development stage
To reveal in more detail how your desired Hybrid Cloud can be implemented, follow the step-by-step instruction to easily add extra Azure regions to your Jelastic cluster.
- Active Azure subscription
- Existent Jelastic 3.3 Cloud installation (public, private or VPC)
- Domain name for Jelastic HC instance
- Preconfigured Azure storage for Jelastic VM
- Created virtual network for Jelastic VM
- Odin Virtuozzo containers (PCS) license provided by Jelastic (request it at email@example.com with email subject “Request for Jelastic License on Azure”)
Create Jelastic VM
You will be redirected to Azure portal to provide the required data for Jelastic VM creation:
- Host Name – name for your Jelastic VM
- User Name, SSH Public Key or Password – credentials for VM administrator
- Pricing Tier – the required VM specs (e.g. D12 is recommended)
- Optional Configurations required for setup:
- In the Network setup panel, select the local virtual network you’ve created earlier. Specify the Domain Name for your Jelastic cloud – choose the existing domain or create a new one. In the IP Addresses configuration panel, turn the Instance IP address switcher to On, set the Private IP address switcher to Static and specify the IP Address which will be used for Jelastic VM instance.
- Configure the Storage account to point to the storage you’ve created earlier.
- Resource Group – create a new group or choose the existing one
- Location – select the Azure region for your Jelastic VM (the same as you’ve selected for the storage account and local network previously)
Click Create. The pricing information will be loaded. Click Buy.
Follow the same steps to create more Jelastic VMs required for your cluster.
Add Storage to Jelastic VM
Jelastic Hybrid Cloud requires additional storage disk of 350 Gb size or larger for infrastructure and end-user containers.
So, select the Browse button, choose Virtual Machines and select the Jelastic VM you’ve provisioned earlier. Then click on the Settings, select Disks and select Attach New.
Here you need to fill in the required data:
- Storage Container – select the Storage account and Container where the data disk space will be allocated
- Disk File Name – specify a disk name or leave it auto-generated by Azure
- Size – the desired disk size in gigabytes
- Host Caching – select Read/Write for disk accesses caching policy
Jelastic Domain Name Configuration (for the first VPC node)
Delegate a domain name of your new Jelastic instance to the Public IP address of your first Azure VM with the Jelastic cluster deployed using the hints below:
- Use your primary domain to delegate a subdomain for Jelastic name server. Recommended subdomain name: jelastic.primarydomain.com
- DNS server names and addresses:
1 IP address allocated for this DNS server
- Zone records example (make sure this is a part of the file for the parent zone primarydomain.com) – note the last one is a glue record:
jelastic.primarydomain.com IN NS ns1.jelastic.primarydomain.com
ns1.jelastic.primarydomain.com IN A 220.127.116.11
Configure Jelastic Installation
- Navigate to the Jelastic provisioning portal at http://azure-master.jelastic.com
- Enter the IP address of your Jelastic VM at the Enter your Jelastic at Azure deployment IP address input box and select the Continue button.
- The provisioning portal will check this VM for prerequisites and prepare it for the Jelastic configuration process:
- Choose the Hybrid Cloud type of installation
- Specify a dedicated Cluster domain name of existent VPC
- Specify a dedicated Region domain name for a new VPC
- State the Jelastic cluster admin credentials for your existent VPC
- Generate a new SSH private key for communication within Hybrid Cloud. When adding more nodes supply the key used to deploy the first Jelastic VM on Azure.
- Paste the Odin Virtuozzo containers (PCS) license received from Jelastic
The installation will take about an hour depending on your VM CPU and storage speed.
After that, you’ll be redirected to the Jelastic Cluster admin panel of your VPC where you can configure your new Hybrid Cloud.
NOTICE: when your extra VPC instances are installed to the Hybrid Cloud, contact Jelastic team to properly set up L3 tunnels between VPCs, establish proper IP routing between regions and infrastructure containers, and finally deploy at least one resolver for the Hybrid Cloud.
More full version of the instruction you can find in the appropriate Jelastic documentation. If you still don’t have Jelastic installation, contact us to get access to our free demo for cloud platform evaluation or just start with trial registration at one of our hosting partners.